eyeheartromance

Veronica Roth
Romancing the Duke
Tessa Dare

When The Marquess Met His Match: An American Heiress in London

When the Marquess Met His Match - Laura Lee Guhrke, Susan Ericksen I love Laura Lee Guhrke and was excited when I found out that she would be featuring American Heiresses in her next series. Although I am a fan of her work (see Girl Bachelor series), I was a little bit disappointed about this one which is why I rated it 3.5 hearts.

I had a hard time warming up to Belinda Featherstone and a little bit put off my Nicholas. The heroine is unlike LLG’s heroines that I know and love. Belinda, being an American, is a widow of an earl who married her for her money, pretending to have feelings for her and revealing his true colors after their marriage. Once she became a widow (husband died in the arms of his mistress), she starts supporting herself as a matchmaker for American heiresses, making sure to find the right match for them and also making sure that they are matched with the right peer who will not marry them only for her money. This leads Nicholas, the heir of a dukedom, to hire her to find him an American heiress.

I enjoyed the chemistry between Belinda and Nicholas, especially their verbal sparring. The only thing that I did not like was Belinda’s low opinion of him despite him not giving her any reason to hate him other than being a scoundrel. I thought that was a little hypocritical of her.

The element that saved this book for me was the tension between the Nicholas and his father, the Duke. I also loved the selfless way Nicholas went about confronting his father and giving up everything just to marry Belinda. Of course, I also loved it when Nicholas found out that Belinda stormed the Duke’s residence and gave him a piece of her mind.

I also love that my ebook had a short sneak peek of the next book in the series, How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days, which features Edie, one of Belinda’s “failure matches.” Can’t wait to read that one!